Cartoon Drawing Tips for Kids
Cartoons are fun. Well almost. If you are like me you certainly love to watch cartoon figures. But drawing cartoons is another story particularly if you are not aware of the basics.
If the thought of creating beautiful cartoon characters gives you high, read on, here you will find some tips that you can readily use to improve your skills and reduce the time taken to create beautiful cartoon characters.
There are certain things that are same for every style of drawing, be it realistic drawing or cartoony, now we will go quickly through the basics before getting specific to cartoony style.
1. Select your tools wisely. Clean your hands before starting your drawing. The paper you use for your work should be of good quality. Low grade, off colored paper will make your drawing look pale. Your first sketch should be made with light lines and for finalizing you should use deep-colored and prominent lines –so choose your pencils carefully.
2. Many times beginners find drawing a smooth line difficult. Remember drawing smooth lines will be easier if you do not support your hand on your wrist like we are used to do while writing. Doodling and drawing some circular shapes just before you start will also help you to draw smoothly.
3. Learn to draw facial features and hand carefully. Hands are more difficult. Experts often judge a persons drawing ability from how well he can draw human hands. So practice drawing hands with care.
4. Study about basic forms and proportions of human body. Learn about basics of human anatomy and various ratios of human figures.
As a cartoon creator you will have certain liberties, you do not need to bind yourself with strict body proportions rules. You can draw four fingered (Thumb + Three) hand that makes your work a bit easier.
But one challenge you will face while drawing cartoons –cartoon characters needs to be more expressive and certainly you have to create this expressiveness with some lines drawn with your pencil.
Keep in mind that three areas of human face that play major role to express emotions are
1. Eyelids (wide open, half closed, almost fully closed etc.),
2. Eyebrows (raised, normal, crooked etc.) and
3. Lips (forming downward bow, upward bow etc.).
Other than these you can also use, hair (properly combed or ruffled), garments (well kept or torn) to create characters that tells a story.
Hope you find this tips useful. Coupled with some practice these tips will help you to take your cartoon drawing skills to a new level. Enjoy the fun of drawing beautiful and expressive cartoon characters.